[slogan sc_id=”sc1417090374360″]Here at Salus we are all for promoting a healthy workplace, this includes healthy eating and nutrition. You’ll find our recipes for office lunches & snacks easy to make and full of goodness to keep happy & healthy throughout the workday![/slogan]
[image action=”none” image_action_link=”#” target=”_self” align=”alignleft” image_size_alias=”” image_alt=”” link_title=”” margin_top=”” margin_right=”” margin_bottom=”” margin_left=”” bw=”0″ sc_id=”sc1415638120047″]https://salusmassage.ie/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/blog-soup-picture.jpg[/image]
This soup is so easy to make and the perfect nourishing lunch to take to work during these winter days. It is really hearty with a little kick of chili which is sure to warm you up! The star of the soup has to be the sweet potato, full of benefits: like vitamin A to help ward off those cold and flu viruses, magnesium which is the relaxation & anti-stress mineral to keep you calm and collected at your desk, also high in carotenoids which have loads of anti-oxidants and will help strengthen you eyesight (helpful if you’re at a computer screen all day!) There is lots more to this wonderful vegetable but you get the jist!
This makes one BIG pot of soup, so you can put portions in the freezer . If you’re short on freezer space just halve the recipe.
- 800 g sweet potato peeled and chopped into medium size pieces
- 400 g carrots peeled and chopped ( I usually cut it smaller than the sweet potato as it takes longer to cook)
- one red onion roughly chopped
- one clove of garlic minced or finely chopped
- 3cm piece of ginger minced
- 1/2 tsp chili flakes (you can adjust to taste and can also use fresh chili)
- Half a tin of coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon of coconut oil (not to worry if you don’t have any at home ! Olive oil is fine too)
- 1litre of stock (vegetable or chicken)
- In a LARGE pot saute garlic, ginger & chili flakes in coconut oil for a few minutes – taking care not to burn the garlic!
- Add in chopped onion and saute for a further 10 minutes or until onions are soft.
- Add in sweet potato & carrots.
- Add in 1 litre of stock.
- Bring to a simmer and cover with lid.
- Cook for about 30-40 minutes or until the sweet potato and carrots are tender.
- If you are using a liquidizer allow it to cool slightly or use a stick blender to blend.
- Once it’s blended add in coconut milk and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- When the soup has cooled you can divide into individual containers, pop them in the freezer; ready to grab for work when you’re running out the door in the morning! Easy peasy!